Nature Speaker Series
Join us for our weekly nature speaker series, and explore nature through the insight of expert speakers. Topics range from native birds and butterflies to local culture and art. The educational series is brought to you by the generous sponsorship of Thurmond Eye Associates.
Schedule & Fees
|Date: ||Thursdays, September through April |
|Time: ||6:00-7:00 pm |
|Fee: || |
$3.00 Per Person
Effects of Valley Weather on Wildlife
Rain, wind, and sun all play a vital role in the unique weather systems that cross the Lower Rio Grande Valley every year. Warm temperatures and drought are broken up by bouts of heavy rain, short freezes, and the occasional hurricane. Join us at Quinta Mazatlan on Thursday, March 2nd at 6 pm for a presentation on the Effects of Valley Weather on Wildlife. Special guest Barry Goldsmith, meteorologist at the National Weather Service, will visit the center to talk about the ways the weather conditions in our area create a unique environment that valley wildlife is specifically suited for.
Barry Goldsmith has spent nearly 30 years in the National Weather Service, holding a variety of jobs including Statistical Guidance Developer and Programmer, National Verification Specialist, General Forecaster and Senior Forecaster, and Warning Coordination Meteorologist. During this time, he has watched the explosion of technology change the way weather information is provided and communicated to the public. He believes we have reached a point where end users have the ability to pull information that suit their needs and looks forward to being a leader of the movement to bring federal weather services forward during the next decade.
The Nature Speaker Series takes place on Thursday evenings through May 2017 and is proudly sponsored by Thurmond Eye Associated. The program fee is $3.00 per person and no advance reservations is required. Quinta Mazatlan is located at 600 Sunset Drive in McAllen, one block south of La Plaza Mall on 10th Street. For more information contact Quinta Mazatlan at (956) 681-3370 or visit www.quintamazatlan.com.
2017 Speaker Schedule:
- March 2- How Valley Weather Affects Wildlife, Barry Goldsmith, NOAA Meteorologist
- March 9- Positive Vibes- A Texas Big Year, David Sarkozi
- March 16- Special Wildlife Presentation, Tony Henehan, TPWD Wildlife Biologist
- March 23- Meet Your Neighbours, Seth Patterson, Gorgas Science Foundation
- April 6- Ocelots of South Texas: Conservation Threats & Recovery Strategies, Hilary Swarts, Ph.D., USFWS Wildlife Biologist
- April 13- Why Band Birds?, Mark Conway
- April 20- Rendezvous with RGV Reptiles, Edwin Quintero, TPWD
- April 27- The History of Quinta Mazatlan, Victor De Leon