Nature Speaker Series
Join us for our weekly nature speaker series, and explore nature through the insight of expert speakers. Topics range from native birds and butterflies to local culture and art. The educational series is brought to you by the generous sponsorship of Thurmond Eye Associates.
Schedule & Fees
|Date: ||Thursdays, September through April |
|Time: ||6:00-7:00 pm |
|Fee: || |
$3.00 Per Person
1960s Starr County Melon Strike, Daniel Blue Tyx
"Viva la Huelga" "Long live the Strike!" After moving to and falling in love with the RGV, Daniel Blue Tyx grew an interest towards the 1966 struggle of local melon pickers to win collective bargaining acknowledgement and decent incomes. Fifty years after the strike, Daniel will tell the story of the aftermath of the huelgistas in the years following that notorious work stoppage through interviews from surviving strikers across the valley. Please join us at Quinta Mazatlan on Thursday, February 23rd at 6 pm for an informative discussion on the Star County Melon Strike featuring special guest, Daniel Blue Tyx.
Daniel Blue Tyx is a McAllen-based essayist and freelance journalist who came to the RGV area in 2003 as part of the program Teach for America. He was taken by the people of the borderlands and quickly made the RGV his permanent residence and central aspects of his writing about border issues, social justice, autism, and creating nonfiction. His essay and articles have appeared in Best American Travel Writing, 40 Years of Cutbank, Gulf Coast, the Gettysburg Review, and many other publications.
The Nature Speaker Series takes place on Thursday evenings through May 2017 and is proudly sponsored by Thurmond Eye Associated. The program fee is $3.00 per person and no advance reservations is required. Quinta Mazatlan is located at 600 Sunset Drive in McAllen, one block south of La Plaza Mall on 10th Street. For more information contact Quinta Mazatlan at (956) 681-3370 or visit www.quintamazatlan.com.
2017 Speaker Schedule:
- February 23- 1960s Starr County Melon Strike, Daniel Blue Tyx
- March 2- How Valley Weather Affects Wildlife, Barry Goldsmith, NOAA Meteorologist
- March 9- Positive Vibes- A Texas Big Year, David Sarkozi
- March 16- Special Wildlife Presentation, Tony Henehan, TPWD Wildlife Biologist
- March 23- Meet Your Neighbours, Seth Patterson, Gorgas Science Foundation
- April 6- Ocelots of South Texas: Conservation Threats & Recovery Strategies, Hilary Swarts, Ph.D., USFWS Wildlife Biologist
- April 13- Why Band Birds?, Mark Conway
- April 20- Rendezvous with RGV Reptiles, Edwin Quintero, TPWD
- April 27- The History of Quinta Mazatlan, Victor De Leon