Nature Speaker Series
Join us for our weekly nature speaker series, and explore nature through the insight of expert speakers. Topics range from native birds and butterflies to local culture and art. The educational series is brought to you by the generous sponsorship of Thurmond Eye Associates.
Schedule & Fees
|Date: ||Thursdays, September through April |
|Time: ||6:00-7:00 pm |
|Fee: || |
$3.00 Per Person
An Invasion of Snow
Snowy Owls have an almost magical ability to capture the imagination, and it is no wonder one was the chosen companion of a certain bespectacled wizard. International owl expert Denver Holt will be at Quinta Mazatlan on Thursday, October 27 at 6 pm for a presentation on these beautiful white wonders of the north. Denver is founder and president of the Owl Research Institute and the Ninepipes Wildlife Research Center, a nonprofit organization located in Charlo, Montana, and he has been studying Snowy Owls in Barrow, Alaska for over 20 years.
Since 1978, Denver's focus has been researching owls and their ecology. He has published more than 90 papers and technical documents, including four species accounts for the Birds of North America project. He was also team leader for the Strigidae family (owl) species account for The Handbook of the Birds of the World, Volume 5, covering 189 species of the world's owls.
Denver's Snowy Owl research has been the focus of the British Broadcasting Company's (BBC) documentary series, Frozen Earth, a sequel to the highly acclaimed Planet Earth series. In 2011 Denver worked closely with a PBS documentary film crew featuring the breeding ecology of the Snowy Owl. Denver's research on Snowy Owls in Barrow, Alaska was featured in the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology's Living Bird magazine.
The Nature Speaker Series takes place on Thursday evenings through May 2017 and is proudly sponsored by Thurmond Eye Associated. The program fee is $3.00 per person and no advance reservations is required. Quinta Mazatlan is located at 600 Sunset Drive in McAllen, one block south of La Plaza Mall on 10th Street. For more information contact Quinta Mazatlan at (956) 681-3370 or visit www.quintamazatlan.com.
2016 Speaker Schedule:
- October 27- Snowy Owls- Spectacular Nomads of the Far North: Denver Holt, Victor Emanuel Nature Tours
- November 3- Special Nature Presentation
- November 10- The Presentation & Future of Sustainable Agriculture in Cuba: Dr. Alex Racelis UTRGV
- November 17- Secretive Animals of the LRGV: Tony Henehan, TPWD Wildlife Biologist
- December 1- "Hummingbirds Vol. 1" Book Release, Seth Patterson, Gorgas Science Foundation
- December 8- Wells Fargo Holiday Concert in the Park with the Big Band Sound of the Dean Canty Band
- December 15- Environment, Art, & Economy Interdependence in Mexico: Rachel Brown, South Texas College
- December 22- Palomas de Valle with Rumbo al Anacua
- December 29- Urban Birds- John Brush, UTRGV