Schedule & Fees
|Date: ||Saturday mornings or afternoons |
|Time: ||9:00 am to 11:00 am or 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm |
|Fee: ||$5.00 per student |
|Attendance: ||Minimum 10 students or $50 program fee |
|Registration: ||Advance payment and preparation are required. To register please complete and submit the Registration Form |
DO IT YOURSELF
When I've earned this badge, I'll know how to help plants and flowers grow.
“Visit a Garden” # 1 & “Explore Garden Design” #2 – Juniors will visit the “Hummingbird” and “Butterfly” gardens to learn what plants help these jewels of our forest survive, and how to design a garden for wildlife in their own backyards.
“Learn How to Choose Garden Plants” # 3 – Juniors will learn the top ten butterfly plants of the LRGV, and the 5 best native plants for bringing hummingbirds to their yard. Juniors will learn why it is important to plant native plants.
“Experiment with Seeds” #4 – Juniors will collect native seeds and learn a variety of techniques for propagating them, then be able to take home and see which techniques worked best on what seeds.
“Grow your OWN Garden” # 5 – Juniors will learn HOW to prepare a garden, plant a plant, mulch and water properly, using a demonstration garden at Quinta Mazatlan. They should then be able to plant a garden bed for wildlife in their own school or backyard.
When I've earned this badge, I will know more about wild animals and how to protect their homes. Activities:
- Guided Trailwalk and Museum Discovery
- “Find out about Wild Animals” #1 – Discovery Museum
- “Investigate an Animal Habitat” #2 – Aquatic Pond Investigation
- “Explore “Endangered Habitats” # 4 – Wildcat Trail walk
- Juniors will learn how to create "habitat".
- "Create an animal house" (#3)- Juniors will make bird feeders & water trays, and learn what native plants wildlife needs for "habitat."
- Juniors will learn how to “Help Protect Animal Habitats” (#5) by taking part in a “pollution interactive” to learn what common household items to keep out of our waterways.
- “Learn to Use a GPS receiver” #2
- “Go on a Geocaching Adventure”#4 – Juniors will be introduced to the hobby of “Geocaching”, taught how to use the GPS device, and search for 3-5 geocaches hidden on the grounds of Quinta Mazatlan. – 2 hour program